MIES/DOHA (Switzerland/Qatar) - Four outstanding arenas will provide the perfect platform for the best players on the planet to show their skills at the highly anticipated FIBA Basketball World Cup 2027 in Doha, Qatar, set to tip off in exactly two years.
The biggest event in the FIBA Basketball calendar, fans will be treated to 92 games during the competition, with the action starting on August 27 and concluding on September 12 when the last team standing will raise the coveted Naismith Trophy.
The FIBA Basketball World Cup 2027 will be the largest edition ever hosted in a single city, as 32 national teams compete for the prestigious trophy and a chance to qualify directly for the Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games or the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments.
The four venues set to be used in Doha are: Duhail Arena, Al Attiyah Arena, Al Janoub Arena and finally Lusail Arena, which will be the setting for the title game.
Al Janoub Arena will be converted to a basketball venue, having previously been a stadium for the FIFA Football World Cup. This demonstrates Qatar's commitment to sustainability and desire to further strengthen its sporting legacy by connecting two of the biggest global sporting competitions.
FIBA Secretary General Andreas Zagklis said:
Now we have reached this important milestone on the Road to Qatar 2027, the excitement and anticipation of the global basketball community will accelerate further as we look forward to another outstanding edition of the FIBA Basketball World Cup.
He continued: "With all the action taking place in one city, players and fans alike can look forward to an unforgettable experience. The four excellent venues will offer the ideal setting for national teams to perform, while also playing an important role in inspiring a new generation of fans and continuing the growth of our sport worldwide.
"The choice of arenas also underlines the commitment from Qatar to place sustainability and inclusion at the heart of the event, something that will serve to leave a lasting legacy in the region and beyond."
FIBA Basketball World Cup Qatar 2027 Director General, President of Qatar Basketball Federation, and Board Member of the FIBA Foundation, Mohammed Saad Al-Meghaiseeb, said: "Two years ago, Qatar was awarded the hosting rights of the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2027 - an incredible honor and a significant responsibility to deliver the most memorable edition in the tournament's history.
"Three of our venues are ready, and we are working on one of the most distinguished projects in the history of our sport to transform a football stadium into a basketball arena. Al Janoub Arena will be the pinnacle of our efforts."
He continued: "Our main goal for the next two years is to continue to raise awareness and to leave a legacy for the game of basketball both in Qatar and the whole MENA region.
"In exactly two years, Qatar will welcome fans from all over the world. With the dedication of the Local Organizing Committee, all our stakeholders, and with the continuous support of the government of Qatar, we are committed to delivering an unforgettable experience to the basketball world."
The Road to Qatar officially began earlier this year when FIBA Global Ambassador Carmelo Anthony launched the visual identity of the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2027, along with the 'Step It Up' campaign.
However, before reaching Doha, teams must navigate the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2027 qualification process, which will tip off in November 2025 and conclude in February 2027. A total of 80 teams, involving more than 2,000 players from across FIBA’s four regions, will compete in 420 games.
To celebrate the important milestone of just two years remaining until the start of the FIBA Basketball World Cup, a registration website has been launched for fans to express their interest in receiving early ticketing information and other tournament updates. Click here to register.
FIBA